Main Street America in partnership with the Institute for Local Self-Reliance (ILSR) hosted a webinar on February 10 titled “Small Business’s Big Moment” that highlighted ideas for communities on how to use the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funds for long-term economic development. Kennedy Smith from the ISLR and Kelly Humrichouser from Main Street America moderated the conversation, whose focus was on small business.
Some of the ideas presented include:
- Strategic investments in small business training, coaching and finance, i.e. financial relief grants, loans, opening business incubators, and other resources;
- Using the funds to develop and open full-service grocers;
- Building a robust infrastructure to support small scale manufacturing;
- Simplifying and streamlining the procurement process to make it easier for small businesses to bid;
- Investing in “shop local” marketing campaigns;
- Expanding broadband access;
- Making improvements in commercial districts to enhance accessibility.
To read the full report, visit Small-Businesss-Big-Moment-Report.pdf.